Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
2 T. olive oil
1 cup diced onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup minced fresh peeled ginger
4 bay leaves
1/2 T crushed red pepper flakes
1 large butternut squash (about 2 1/2 lbs), peeled, seeded and cut into chunks.
1/2 cup apple, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. curry powder
4 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 T. sugar
1 15 oz. can coconut milk
5 spicy chicken sausage, casings removed and then chopped (I use the ones you can find at Costco)
Freshly chopped cilantro
Extra coconut milk to drizzle...mmmm.
- Heat oil in large stock pot over meduim heat. Add onion and cook about 2 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, and continue to stir, cooking for about 3 more minutes. Add bay leaves and red peppers. Stir in squash, apple, curry powder and salt, cook for 10 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium high and add chicken stock. Cover and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring and mashing every 5 minutes. Add sugar and cook another 5 minutes. Add coconut milk and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves (don't need anyone choking on those babies!) Using an immersion blender, or in batches using a regular blender, puree until smooth.
- Reheat soup and add sausage. Season with more salt if necessary, drizzle with extra coconut milk and garnish with cilantro.
- Eat well and stay warm my friends!