Thursday, February 17, 2011

Presenting...a delish-ush bowl of mush!!

Who doesn't have a favorite comfort food.  Something that, no matter how unappealing to another individual, can simply be love in a bowl to you.  Now, I'm not attempting to get all mushy on you...well, actually I kind of am.  See one of my absolute most cherished comfort food is California Pilaf.  Served up with a big bowl of salad my entire childhood, I don't think I truly comprehended the attachment I had to this recipe until I moved to WA.  After a being served up a plate of homesickness and a side of personal pity, I scavenged my recipe box for this tattered scrap of paper. The result was a delicious bowl of mushy goodness that warmed my soul and provided a taste of home.  I really couldn't care less if Tom Collichio would crucify me for my blob of starch.  It's good to me and who knows, maybe some of you actually will like it.  I've made a few changes to my mom's original recipe.  No offense Mom!!

California Pilaf

2 lbs ground turkey or lean hamburger
2 1/2 cups water
2- 8 oz cans tomato sauce
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 gloves garlic, chopped
1 med onion, umm... you guessed it, chopped 
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2/3 cup olives, sliced
1 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice

Saute your onions and then add your meat.  Brown it up an then add all your ingredients to a crock pot.  Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3.

Yah, it's that easy.  I think sauteing the onions before putting them in helps ensure that they are cooked all the way through before your rice gets too soft.  You can also get creative and substitute salsa for some of the tomato sauce or throw in some green chilies.  It all ends up morphing into something wonderful.  Serve it up with some love and enjoy.
Now, what's YOUR comfort food?

5 comments:

  1. No offense taken! Glad it gave you a "touch of home"....

    ReplyDelete
  2. porcupine meatballs - comfort food :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh holy moley! Porcupine Meatballs! I remember making those for a neighbor one time. They thought we were weirdos after that. Well, maybe before that too, but I started getting a distinct vibe from them after giving them that meal. Maybe I shouldn't have told them what we named them :) Some people just don't appreciate our good ol' family favs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummers! I am totally gonna make this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny...pilaf is great but my ULTIMATE comfort food was always acini salad and funeral potatoes. Mmm...fourth of July all the way, baby! Maybe I'll have to try making some of this pilaf, now that I'm actually IN California.

    ReplyDelete

You got something to chew on?